Tuesday, June 1, 2010

You Can Close Your Eyes

I am still closing my eyes and recalling fond moments of the James Taylor/Carole King concert, on Sunday evening.

In my ever changing moods, I have been to a great many concerts in the past, gasp, 30 years. All kinds of music and all kinds of performers. This concert definitely takes top billing in my mind. I was sooooo excited and a litle nervous that my personal hype and stalking of their lives through books and music would not be quite as I had hoped. I shouldn't have worried...I began the concert with tears in my eyes and I ended the concert with tears in my eyes. From the opening notes of Blossom to the ending duet of, You Can Close Your Eyes, it was an evening of sheer magic.

I am not a music critic and I am not going to give you a play by play of the entire show. You know me well enough, by now, to know that I only write about the rambling thoughts in my head. And, right now, my head is still full of the magic that was created by two such wonderful pieces of music history. Music royalty. You don't see that these days, in my opinion. I don't mean that there are not good entertainers. It's just that it is so rare to find the singer/songwriter/musician package. A package so steeped in history and friendship and a mutual respect for each other's music. You can tell that they share bonds dating back to the early 1970s. They have both weathered many rocky roads but in that ending duet of the evening, you felt those years only added to their rich history.

Take my advice and if you are lucky enough to live in a city on their tour schedule, get tickets. This kind of tour doesn't happen very often. If you came of age listening to them, it's a perfect way to spend three hours with the voices of your youth. If you are younger and not familiar with their music, go and listen. You will thank me for beggin you to go.

So, back to reality I go but now I have a richer soundtrack playing in my mind...




No comments: