Monday, April 26, 2010

Rock On

Over the weekend, I came to a realization. I have come to notice that in my ever changing moods, I am addicted to any and all rockumentaries. The older I get, the more obsessed I become. I stop everything I am doing to watch one. Or, I record them for later viewing. I love rock movies, rockumentaries and anything about the music industry. I find it fascinating to learn the history of bands, to follow their story, to emerse myself in their music.

I have no idea where this comes from. I mean, obviously, I am a music lover. This should be clear to anyone who reads my blog. I have let music set the sound stage of my life since I was very young and listening to those little cut-out records that came on the back of cereal boxes. I know...what a GREAT idea!!! I used to try to eat the cereal really, really quickly just so I could cut the record off the back of the box.

I used to love to stand in front of my bedroom mirror, hairbrush in hand, belting out the tunes playing on my little RCA record player. I was going to be a rock star!! Or a fashion model!! Or a movie star!! Or, all three!! I would pretend I was a famous rock star going on the talk show circuit talking about my newest song, costumes and fab life. I had a vivid imagination!!! I wanted to wear costumes of fringe and glitter eyeshadow and platform boots. I wanted to be David Bowie, I guess, in his Glitter Rock/Glam Rock days.

When reality finally sunk in, I do not have the voice to be a rock star, I do not have the height to be a super model and Hollywood was not knocking at my door nor was my mother going to sign me up with a talent agency/model agency/voice teacher. So, basically, I was out of luck. But, the dream lived on and still does. In my mind, I AM a rock legend/runway model/movie star. A girl can dream and live in that dream world, right??

Anyway, all of those rock star dreams led me to my rock star/rock music obsessions of watching rockumentaries. I watch and then I usually download all music of that group. I get books on rock legends and read them. I like the stories of bands, of the girls who used to travel with the bands....whatever happened to the really cool girl groupies? Oh, they got older and probably wiser..lol. I love to follow the rags to riches stories and sometimes back to rags or sometimes the tragic deaths that many of the great rock and rollers fell to.

Once the next rockumentary comes on, I find a new obsession and the cycle continues. I like just about every genre of music except for sticky sweet, sappy love songs. I love rock, bluegrass, old school country...way old school. Not a fan of the new country. I like classical, old school rap...way old school. Back when it was just coming on the scene. I love music of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s grunge...it all plays a part in my addiction. I like old groups and new groups. I don't like pre-packaged/commercial bands. I don't like bands that spring from the Disney channel. I like the hard core bands that have a hard core story to tell. And when that story is on, I am there to watch.

Yesterday, I woke up, early, and watched a mini rockumentary on, The Red Hot Chili Peppers and suddenly I was transported to the late 80s when I first started listening to them. So, I rediscovered them, yesterday, pulled out their old cds. I first had them on albums because cds were not the music vehicle, yet. So, I found my love, all over again, and today will be loading all of that love onto my Ipod.

Music is good!!! Sometimes it speaks to you, like it does me. Some people could care less about having music at all. I worry about those people. I wonder about them and how empty it must be to not light up their lives with the joy of music.

So, in honor of my rockumentary revelation that I do, indeed, have an addiction, I say....Rock On!!



No comments: