Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Running On Empty

This was definitely my theme song, yesterday. I just never did get it together in the motivation/productivity department, at all. So unlike the person I usually am. Yesterday, I felt like someone had covered me in cement and I spent the day trying to break out and find my energy!

It started when I slept until almost 9:30am....those who know me well are picking themselves up off the floor after reading that. In my ever changing moods, one thing that has never changed about me is that I am an early riser. I like to be up and about between 5am and 5:30am. And, those who knew me even back when I was young, know that I have been this way when I was really young. I was the odd teen who never slept in. I used to stay at my bff's house in high school and think of ways or reasons to wake her up at 7am. I am and have always been an annoying and spunky morning person. My bff was the complete opposite. She was a night owl and a late sleeper. I am sure it was a challenge to have me as a friend.

I think I come from a long line of early risers. My grandfather was an early riser. He was usually up by 4:30am, had his coffee and breakfast and then got more accomplished before the sun came up than most people accomplish in a day. My grandmother, not so much. She hated mornings and grumbled until the sun came up. My mother inherited my grandfather's early gene and it was nothing for her to be up, showered, breakfasted and running the sweeper at 6am. This may have also been her excuse to make sure there would be no sleeping in even if you felt like sleeping in. Nothing like a loud sweeper banging into your bedroom door to make you feel relaxed....and, on the summer days when my mother would be at work, my grandfather would come to our house (they lived around the corner) and begin ringing the doorbell at 7am to let us know that he would be waiting, outside, with our list of jobs for the day. I come from a family who liked to get everything done by 10am.

When I was in college, the dreaded 8am classes didn't really even bother me. Hey, if I was awake, why not go to class and get it over with? More time to play, er, I mean study, later in the day. When I was a flight attendant, my schedule was so crazy that some months, I had no clue if it was night or day. Once I could hold a set schedule, I opted for the 6am sign ins. I know, I know, annoying. But, again, if I was awake, why not head to the airport and work a quick jaunt from Los Angeles to New York?

The other annoying thing is that when I wake up, it takes me no time to go from 0-60 in a flash. I can have chirpy conversations, I sing songs in my head, and this is all before coffee. I am the annoying one in my family, now, as always. Mr. Man doesn't like to sleep in but it does take him a bit to want to have a conversation. Some mornings I forget and start chattering about and then I catch his eyes rolling back in his head.

So, yesterday, was so odd. Getting up late after the sun was up and drinking coffee in a whole other part of the day. I felt a bit off, all day. I felt like I was 5 hours behind schedule, all day. And, I never gained my momentum. Finally, I just accepted the fact that it was a day going nowhere and then I embraced it. I went to a parental cheer meeting that made me want to poke needles in my eyes and then came home and let it all go. I accepted the fact that I had a nothing kind of day and I overslept. Maybe my body was telling me that it was running on empty and needed to refuel.

In fact, I know that is what happened because today I popped up at 5:30am, made coffee, got loads of laundry started and all of the other mundane things that take place in my ever changing moods. And, if felt GREAT to be back!!!!



1 comment:

Dawn said...

I am having a day like that today! I can't believe I slept in so late. Hate it!

Glad YOU'RE back on track today! :)